- Here is a quick lesson on how you can cook potatoes in the microwave. This is great for the busy mom who needs to get dinner ready quick. It is also great for those hot summer months when you don't want to turn on your oven or stove.
- I use Tupperware's Rock N Serve medium or large deep container depending on how many potatoes I am using. Try to find a microwave safe container that is deep if you don't have the Rock N Serve containers.
Peel and cut your potatoes into quarters.
- Place in your microwave safe container. You may need to add water. If you are using the Rock N Serve container you don't need to add any water.
- Microwave on high for one minute per potato. If you have 15 potatoes you would cook for 15 minutes. Stir every five minutes to avoid hot spots. This is for average size potatoes.
- You can then use the cooked potatoes in your recipes. Here are a couple of examples.
For mashed potatoes:
- Heat butter and milk in a small microwaveable container. Pour into the container your warm vegetables are in. Add seasonings to taste and serve.
For home fries:
- Cut potatoes in bite size pieces rather than in quarters before cooking in the microwave. Saute chopped onions, green peppers, and paprika in a large frying pan. Add cooked potatoes. Raise the heat and fry to taste.
For potato salad:
- Keep the potatoes in the container after cooking and place in a cool sink or dish pan in ice water. This will help to cool the cooked potatoes quickly. Make your favorite potato salad mixture and add to the potatoes once they are cooled. For example, I add Miracle Whip, chopped olives, and chopped boiled eggs because that is how my family likes their potato salad.
- As you can probably see by now, you can use your own recipes once the potatoes are cooked. Cooking them in the microwave is just a faster and cooler way to cook the potatoes.