Thursday, July 15, 2010

Boiling fresh Corn On the Cob

Boiling fresh Corn On the Cob
  • If there’s one thing that says “summer” to me, it might just be corn on the cob. When my family visited my grandmother in Michigan every summer, “Doo-Dah” would bring us corn on the cob for the requisite family cookout. My dozens of cousins and second cousins (well, close to dozens) and I sat in the yard, shucking the corn and taking off as much of the silk as we could, happily anticipating the feast ahead.
  • A few short hours later would find us happily munching the kernels off of the cobs, which we had buttered and sprinkled with salt. Delightful!
  • My father taught me how to eat the corn neatly so it wouldn’t get stuck in your teeth, by popping the kernels off one row at a time using your bottom teeth, rather than digging in with a CHOMP! It works, and has the added benefit of a typewriter joke. Finish the line of corn, say “Ding!” and start over. Well, that’s what my dad does anyway.
  • He also taught me the delights of eating leftover corn, still cold from the fridge, with a sprinkle of salt. It’s one of my favorite summertime treats to eat corn this way, so I usually get extras so I can intentionally have leftovers.
  • Unfortunately, when I moved out on my own, I discovered that I wasn’t actually sure about the right way to cook corn on the cob. I tried microwaving it, boiling it endlessly, seasoning the water with a variety of things… but nothing was ever quite right.
  • So after reading about a dozen “recipes” and formulas for corn on the cob, the guy and I settled on this method (which is a conglomeration of a couple different ones), which turned out to be a happy discovery. THIS is how corn on the cob shoud be!*
PREPARATIONS :
Fill your pot with water.
Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of sugar.
Drop in your corn.
Bring everything to a boil, making sure the sugar is dissolved in the water.
Boil for no longer than 8 minutes.
Remove from the water and let it cool enough for handling and eating.
Handle it and eat it.


  • It was perfect! Well, almost perfect. It was early-season corn and not the best I’ve ever had, but it was delicious and cooked properly! With just a smear of butter and a few shakes of salt, it was delicious with our dinner of tomato pie.
  • And I had my 2 ears of leftover corn reserved in the fridge for later, when I enjoyed them cold, and sprinkled with salt.
  • Now that you’ve got such an easy delicious recipe for corn on the cob, don’t forget it!

HOW TO COOK CORN ON GRILL

No comments:

Post a Comment